Necessary Documents to Travel to the Canary Islands

Find out which documents you ought to have to travel to the Canary Islands.

Necessary Documents to Travel to the Canary Islands

If you’re planning to visit another country it’s convenient to previously check if you have all the documentation needed as passport, citizen card and visa the most common documents requested for traveling. Moreover there are other documents that even when not essential, they might facilitate your traveling process.

If you’re buying a trip to another country through a travel agency, it should provide you all the information regarding passports, visas, sanitary formalities as well as offer you the possibility to sign an emergency assistance insurance that assures your repatriation expenses as well as transportation in case of accident, illness or death.

Personal identification document

This document might be used to enter and travel among the European Community Countries (including the Canary Islands), if you’re coming from another european country or other Spanish Region.

If you’re under 18 years old and travelling alone, you should take a mother/father permit or judicial permit. If you’re traveling with your father, mother or guardian, you should have the legal affiliation documentation.


This document should be issued in the Spanish Embassy on the tourist’s country of origin. This document you let you enter, work, study or just visit any of its cities. For the non-immigrant visitors that wish to come to the Canary Islands there are six types of visas:

  1. Transit Visa: Which will allow you to pass the international transit areas of a spanish airport or cross spanish territory
  2. Stay Visa: Which will allow you to stay for no more than three months uninterrupted on this country or successive stays for a period of time that summed up shouldn’t exceed threes months per semester counting on the first entry date.
  3. Residence Visa: This visa will allow you to live in Spain, although you shouldn’t perform any laboural or professional activity.
  4. Work and Residence Visa: This visa will allow you to live in Spain as well as perform a laboural activity.
  5. Study Visa: This visa will allow you to live in Spain while taking part on courses or particular studies. It will also allow you to realize investigation projects.
  6. Courtesy Visa: This visa is issued to all diplomatic agents, consular workers and international organization partners.

How should I know if I need a visa to enter in the Canary Islands?

First, you should know that foreign who wishes to enter in Spain should have a visa, unless it’s in one of the following conditions:

  1. You won’t need a visa if you’re staying for less than three months on a six-months interval and you have nationality from one of the following countries: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Chipre, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Slovakia, Slovenia, United States, Estonia, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Lithonia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, Norway, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Czech Republic, Korea, Romania, San Marino, Santa Sede, Singapur, Switzerland, Uruguay, Venezuela, Hong Kong, Macao and any country that belongs to the European Union.
  2. If you enter with the condition of refugee you won’t also need a ininterrumpida visa
  3. Crew members from ships who have sea agent identity document and commercial planes crew members who have their identity card, ticket and do not abandon the plane also don’t need any visa.

Driving License in the Canary Islands:

For the citizens of European Union you only need to bring your own driving license. For citizens from others countries you might need to bring an International Driving License.

European Health Card

This document replaces the old E-111 form. With this document you have the right to receive free medical assistance in every country within the European Union. This is valid for one year counting on the date you obtain it. To request this document you should present you medical card at your local Social Services.

Travel insurance

It’s advisable to hire a short term insurance. It might be very useful. You might request it to your travel agent.

Find out more information you need to know before your trip to the Canary Islands:

Flight Offers:

Compare flight offers and book in advance to save some money.

Search more flights Search more flights


Book now your Hotel or Apartment:

Car Rental

Find the largest offer in car rental for your holidays:

Copyright www.VisitCanaryIslands.Org © - All rights reserved